Monday, August 27, 2012

Dying without a Will

What happens to my property if I die without a valid Will?

No, the Government does not take everything. If you don't have a valid Will, but are married, your wife or husband and children will get to share everything in defined proportions according to the Intestate Succession Act. This could be difficult especially if the children are minors and there is a mortgage bond over the property. It could mean the property will have to get sold to let each get their share. If you have no spouse or children, the property goes to your parents, and if they have died, to your brothers and sisters.

All of the provisions of the Intestate Succession Act need to be checked carefully.. this is just a rough guide.. and we can advise you on the provisions applying in your case.

If you would like a copy of our free Will, or would like to replace your outdated one with a new Will, you can download one here off this link to our Skydrive, or give us a shout if you need more help or read more on our website here.